Pregnancy: Prenatal Exam ScheduleSkip to the navigation
Regular prenatal exams are a top priority during any pregnancy. They are important both for monitoring your own and your fetus's health and for giving you and your health professional time to build a working relationship.
If your pregnancy is going well, you will have a regular schedule of prenatal checkups. These will become more frequent as you near your due date. A general example of such a schedule is as follows:1
- After the first prenatal visit, every 4 weeks till week 28 of pregnancy
- Every 2 to 3 weeks through week 36 of pregnancy
- Every week during the final month of pregnancy
You may have more frequent prenatal exams if you:1
- Began your pregnancy with a preexisting medical problem.
- Develop complications during your pregnancy.
- Are a teen.
Primary Medical Reviewer Sarah Marshall, MD - Family Medicine
Specialist Medical Reviewer Kirtly Jones, MD - Obstetrics and Gynecology
Current as ofNovember 14, 2014
Current as of: November 14, 2014