Pinworms are a type of parasite that lives in the digestive system of humans. Most people get infected by touching something that has pinworm eggs on it and then swallowing them. Pinworms can be annoying, but they rarely cause serious health problems.

Treatment can kill pinworms. It also helps keep you from getting infected again and from spreading the infection to other people.

Current as of: September 9, 2014

Author: Healthwise Staff

Medical Review: John Pope, MD - Pediatrics & Susan C. Kim, MD - Pediatrics