Isosorbide DinitrateSkip to the navigation
Common brand names:Dilatrate-SR, Isordil Titradose
Summary of Interactions with Vitamins, Herbs, & Foods
Replenish Depleted Nutrients
Reduce Side Effects
Taking sustained-release tablets of ISDN with a high-fat meal might increase the absorption of the drug.1 Individuals who switch from a high-fat diet to a low-fat diet might require a change in the amount of ISDN taken daily. Therefore, people taking ISDN should talk with their healthcare practitioner before starting a low-fat diet.
The beneficial effects of ISDN are reduced following long-term treatment with the drug through a process known as tolerance. Controlled studies have shown that using intravenous and oral N-acetyl cysteine (NAC) reverses or prevents tolerance to nitrates.3 , 4 Another controlled study revealed that intravenous NAC enhanced the beneficial effects of ISDN on heart function.5 Therefore, people taking isosorbide dinitrate might benefit from supplemental NAC.
Potential Negative Interaction
1. Sata H, Inoue K, Nii T, Juroda T. Influence of diet on the single-dose pharmacokinetics of isosorbide 5-mononitrate and sustained-release isosorbide dinitrate. Biol Pharm Bull 1997;20:1111-5.
2. Sata H, Inoue K, Nii T, Juroda T. Influence of diet on the single-dose pharmacokinetics of isosorbide 5-mononitrate and sustained-release isosorbide dinitrate. Biol Pharm Bull 1997;20:1111-5.
3. Boesgaard S, Aldershvile J, Poulsen HE. Preventive administration of intravenous N-acetylcysteine and development of tolerance to isosorbide dinitrate in patients with angina pectoris. Circulation 1992;85:143-9.
4. Vincent J, Kongpatanakul S, Blaschke TF, Hoffman BB. Desensitization of nitrate-induced venodilation: reversal with oral N-acetylcysteine in humans. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 1992;20:907-12.
5. Mehra A, Shotan A, Ostrzega E, et al. Potentiation of isosorbide dinitrate effects with N-acetylcysteine in patients with chronic heart failure. Circulation 1994;89:2595-600.
Last Review: 04-29-2014
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Please read the disclaimer about the limitations of the information provided here. Do NOT rely solely on the information in this article. The Aisle7 knowledgebase does not contain every possible interaction.
The information presented in Aisle7 is for informational purposes only. It is based on scientific studies (human, animal, or in vitro), clinical experience, or traditional usage as cited in each article. The results reported may not necessarily occur in all individuals. For many of the conditions discussed, treatment with prescription or over-the-counter medication is also available. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.