Student Nursing Clinical Placement
1. PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center (PHSW) requires all students to wear an identification badge from our organization. The badge is provided through our Human Resources (HR) Department. This badge will give door access in ‘caregiver’ only parts of the Medical Center including hallways, elevators, unit kitchens, staff lounges and scrub machines.
The process will be as follows:
- The School of Nursing will send the completed spreadsheet, a copy of the completed passport and all required forms via email to StudentPlacement@peacehealth.org no later than 2 weeks prior to the beginning of the term.
- PHSW Student placement coordinators will send the names to the ID Badges & Media Center Office. They must receive the list to authorize badge distribution.
- Faculty and students will go to the badging office located in the Health Education Center next to Auditorium B for photo and badge activation no sooner than one week prior to the beginning of the clinical rotation. Please bring picture identification with you. The hours are 9:00am to Noon or 2:00pm to 4:00pm Monday-Friday.
- The name badge will have your photo, first name, the term ‘clinical instructor’ and the nursing school name. Do not place any pins in the name tag as this will destroy the scanning capability.
- We will provide the first badge at no cost to you.
- Both student and faculty badges must be returned at the completion of the clinical rotation to the Education Department via the clinical instructor or school of nursing representative. The clinical instructor may keep their personal badge for the school year and return it at the completion of the spring semester or quarter. Let us know if you will be returning in the fall. We can then reissue and reactivate the same badge(s). You will pick them back up from us.
- If a badge is lost or misplaced, please contact the Education Department at (360)514-2190 immediately.
- There will be a $10.00 fee for a replacement badge.
2. Complete the online general orientation program available through StudentMax Connection once a year. Your school should have your login and password information. It is estimated to take approximately 2 hours to complete these 5 generic modules on Emergency Preparedness, Confidentiality and Compliance, Infection Control, Safety and Dealing with Diverse Populations.
3. Complete the PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center facility specific forms, and give to your clinical instructor or designated School of Nursing (SON) contact a minimum of two weeks prior to your clinical rotation.
User ID for Pyxis and Computer Logins will be emailed to the school of nursing representative
ALL FORMS ARE DUE A MINIMUM OF TWO WEEKS PRIOR TO THE START OF THE ROTATION. If deadlines are not met, there is a possibility it may delay the start date of clinical rotation
4. Computer Based Training (CBT) Modules should be completed:
You will not complete Computer Based Training modules if you are placed in the following areas:
- Cancer Center
- Cardiac Rehab
- Cardiovascular Angiography Department (CVAD)
- Cardiovascular Observation (CVO)
- Emergency Department
- Family Medicine Southwest
- Memorial Urgent Care Clinic
- Pain Clinic
- PeriOperative Services
- This includes Surgery, PACU, Short Stay Unit (SSU), and Same Day Services-Medical (SDS). Those departments will do their own computer training.
- Ray Hickey Hospice House
- Students do NOT need to complete computer training modules. The Hospice House staff will do their own computer training.
- Wound Healing & Hyperbaric Oxygen Center
You will receive your username/login information through your school.
5. If planning on checking blood sugars, complete the Nova Glucose Meter Computer Based Training (if not already previously completed)
Fill in the following information:
- First Name: Your first name
- Last Name: Your last name
- Department: Name of School
- Employee ID: Student ID
- Hospital Name: PHSW
Complete the training and print out your Certificate of Completion.
Please submit a copy of the certificate to your Clinical Instructor.
- You will be assigned your own barcode to use for the glucose meters from your Clinical Instructor.
- This barcode will be valid until you graduate.
- Your Clinical Instructor will have you perform a high and low QC with the meter.
- All Instructors and Students will be required to complete an annual operator competency in August or upon returning to school in the Fall to reactivate their barcode
6. All faculty and students must show documentation of Influenza Vaccination during flu season. If you or a student needs to, they may fill out the declination form for our documentation.
7. Carry your clinical student passport at all times at all clinical sites.
8. Students should complete a Clinical Site Evaluation for PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center at the end of their clinical rotation.
If you have any questions, contact the clinical placement coordinators.