Student Nursing Clinical Placement
1. All students must wear a PeaceHealth identification badge. This badge will give door access in ‘caregiver’ only parts of the Medical Center including hallways, elevators, unit kitchens, staff lounges and scrub machines.
- Go to the badging office located in the Health Education Center next to Auditorium B for photo and badge activation no sooner than one week prior to the beginning of the clinical rotation. Bring picture identification with you. The hours are 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday-Friday with the office closed from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m.
- The name badge will have your photo, first name, the term ‘nursing student’ and the nursing school name. Do not place any pins in the name tag as this will destroy the scanning capability.
- We will provide the first badge at no cost to you.
- The Student badge must be returned at the completion of the clinical rotation to the Education Department via the clinical instructor, school of nursing representative, or student.
- If a badge is lost or misplaced, please contact the Clinical Education Department at 360-514-2190 immediately.
- There will be a $10 fee for a replacement badge.
2. Complete the online general orientation education available through StudentMax Connections once a year.
3. Complete the PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center facility specific forms, and give to your clinical instructor or designated School of Nursing (SON) representative a minimum of two weeks prior to your clinical rotation.
ALL FORMS ARE DUE A MINIMUM OF TWO WEEKS PRIOR TO THE START OF THE ROTATION. If deadlines are not met, there is a possibility it may delay the start date of clinical rotation.
- Copy of Student Passport provided by school. There is one attached for those who do not have access to a passport from school.
- WATCH (Washington Access to Criminal History) form if school’s background check does not include the State of Washington
- PeaceHealth Confidentiality Agreement. Return both pages. Electronic signature not acceptable. The confidentiality agreement will need to be updated once a year. You will receive an email from our Organizational Integrity Officer when it’s time for the update.
4. Non-licensed nursing students will not have access to Pyxis and are encouraged to work with staff nurses for Pyxis education. Licensed nursing students will be given limited Pyxis access based on the unit they are assigned. The initial login will be assigned by the Pharmacy Department and sent to the student. When you chose your own password, choose a password that is no more than 7 characters or the Pyxis Medstation will lock you out.
5. If you need computer access, complete CareConnect computer training.
6. If planning on checking blood sugars, complete the Nova Glucose Meter Computer Based Training (if not already previously completed). You need to complete this training one time only during the course of your schooling.
Fill in the following information:
- First Name: Your first name
- Last Name: Your last name
- Department: Name of School
- Employee ID: Student ID
- Hospital Name: PHSW
Complete the training and print out your Certificate of Completion. Submit a copy to your Clinical Instructor (cohort) or bring with you to the Clinical Education Department (office hours 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday.)
- If in a cohort, your Clinical Instructor will obtain your barcode. Other students may obtain their barcode by coming to the Clinical Education Department during office hours.
- This barcode will be valid until you graduate.
- Preserve the integrity of the barcode by placing a piece of scotch tape over the barcode.
- If your barcode wears out or no longer scans you can come to the Clinical Education Department for a replacement barcode.
- Your Clinical Instructor will have you perform a high and low QC with the meter.
7. Students must show documentation of receiving the Influenza vaccination during flu season. You will be required to wear a mask in all patient care areas during flu season if you have not received the vaccine. Our Employee Health Department will provide you this vaccine at no cost to you. If you decline the vaccine, you will need to complete a declination form for our documentation.
8. Carry your clinical student passport at all times at all clinical sites.
9. Student Nurse Safety Orientation Checklist for you to complete, including several items for the first day on the unit.
10. Parking Policy: Most faculty/students are required to park in the North Parking Lot of the PHSW campus (unless you arrive between 5 p.m. and 3 a.m.) Security patrols the parking lot and will report you if you park in the wrong location. Here is a map of the campus.
11. Complete a Clinical Site Evaluation at the end of your clinical rotation, available on the StudentMax Connections website.
If you have any questions, contact Cheryl Snodgrass or call 360-514-2023.
We welcome you to PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center and are confident you are going to have an amazing educational experience with us!