Student Nursing Clinical Placement
2. Obtain a clinical instructor badge from our ID Badges & Media Center Office (next to Auditorium B in the Health Education Center) within one week prior to beginning your clinical rotation. PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center (PHSW) requires all faculty and students to wear an identification badge from our organization. This badge will give door access in ‘caregiver’ only parts of the Medical Center campus including some hallways, elevators, unit kitchens, staff lounges and scrub machines.
The process will be as follows:
- The School of Nursing will send the completed spreadsheet, a copy of the completed passport and all required forms via email to StudentPlacement@peacehealth.org no later than 2 weeks prior to the beginning of the term.
- PHSW Student placement coordinators will send the names to the ID Badges & Media Center Office. They must receive the list to authorize badge distribution.
- Faculty and students will go to the badging office located in the Health Education Center next to Auditorium B for photo and badge activation no sooner than one week prior to the beginning of the clinical rotation. Please bring picture identification with you. The hours are 9:00am to Noon or 2:00pm to 4:00pm Monday-Friday.
- The name badge will have your photo, first name, the term ‘clinical instructor’ and the nursing school name. Do not place any pins in the name tag as this will destroy the scanning capability.
- We will provide the first badge at no cost to you.
- Both student and faculty badges must be returned at the completion of the clinical rotation to the Education Department via the clinical instructor or school of nursing representative. The clinical instructor may keep their personal badge for the school year and return it at the completion of the spring semester or quarter. Let us know if you will be returning in the fall. We can then reissue and reactivate the same badge(s). You will pick them back up from us.
- If a badge is lost or misplaced, please contact the Education Department at (360)514-2190 immediately.
- There will be a $10.00 fee for a replacement badge.
3. Complete the TCPS Orient Pro general orientation program available through StudentMax Connection
once a year. Your school should have your password to access the nursing quiz.
4. Complete the PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center facility specific forms, collect all the forms, batch per form type, and send to StudentPlacement@peacehealth.org
User ID for Pyxis and Computer Logins will be emailed to the school of nursing representative.
ALL FORMS ARE DUE A MINIMUM OF TWO WEEKS PRIOR TO THE START OF THE ROTATION. If deadlines are not met, there is a possibility it may delay the start date of clinical rotation.
5. Computer Based Training (CBT) Modules should be completed:
All students/clinical instructors need to complete the computer training except those placed in the following areas:
- Cancer Center
- Cardiac Rehab
- Cardiovascular Angiography Department (CVAD)
- Cardiovascular Observation (CVO)
- Emergency Department
- Family Medicine Southwest
- Identify HomeCare Access on spreadsheet
- Identify HomeCare Access on spreadsheet
- Memorial Urgent Care Clinic
- Pain Clinic
- PeriOperative Services
- Identify HSM/MSM Access on spreadsheet
- This includes Surgery, PACU, Short Stay Unit (SSU), and Same Day Services-Medical (SDS). Those departments will do their own computer training.
- Ray Hickey Hospice House
- Identify HomeCare Access on spreadsheet. The Hospice House staff will do their own computer training.
- Wound Healing & Hyperbaric Oxygen Center
Fill in the following information in the module:
- First Name: Your first name
- Last Name: Your last name
- Department: Name of School
- Employee ID: Faculty or Student ID
- Hospital Name: PHSW
Complete the training and print out your Certificate of Completion.
Please bring a copy of the certificate to the Education Office to pick up your barcode. Clinical instructors should pick up the barcodes for all your students.
All Students/Instructors will be assigned their own barcode to use for the glucose meters.
- Students’ barcode will be valid until they graduate
- Instructor’s barcode will not expire
- Clinical Instructors must have students perform a high and low QC with the meter
7. All faculty and students must show documentation of Influenza Vaccination during flu season. If you or a student needs to, they may fill out the declination form
for our documentation.
8. Carry your clinical faculty passport at all times at all clinical sites.
10. At the end of each clinical rotation, faculty should have their students complete a Clinical Site Evaluation
for PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center.