Student Nursing Clinical Placement
2. All faculty and students must wear a PeaceHealth identification badge. Obtain a clinical instructor badge from our ID Badges & Media Center Office (next to Auditorium B in the Health Education Center). This badge will give door access in ‘caregiver’ only parts of the Medical Center campus, including some hallways, elevators, unit kitchens and staff lounges. You must request special access for the Family Birth Center, NICU and all scrub machines.
The process will be as follows:
The School of Nursing will send the completed spreadsheet, a copy of the completed passport and all required forms via email to StudentPlacement@peacehealth.org no later than two weeks prior to the beginning of the term.
The student placement coordinator will send the names to the ID Badges & Media Center Office. They must receive the list to authorize badge distribution.
Faculty and students will go to the badging office located in the Health Education Center next to Auditorium B for photo and badge activation no sooner than one week prior to the beginning of the clinical rotation. Please bring picture identification with you. The hours are 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday-Friday, with the office closed from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m.
The name badge will have your photo, first name, the term ‘clinical instructor’ and the nursing school name. Do not place any pins in the name tag, as this will destroy the scanning capability.
We will provide the first badge at no cost to you.
Both student and faculty badges must be returned at the completion of the clinical rotation to the Education Department via the clinical instructor, school of nursing representative or student. The clinical instructor may keep their personal badge for the school year and return it at the completion of the spring semester or quarter. Let us know if you will be returning in the fall. We can then reissue and reactivate the same badge(s). You will pick them back up from us.
If a badge is lost or misplaced, please contact the Education Department at 360-514-2190.
There will be a $10 fee for a replacement badge.
3. Complete the online general orientation program available through StudentMax Connections once a year.
4. Complete the PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center facility specific forms, collect all the forms, batch per form type, and send to StudentPlacement@peacehealth.org.
5. Non-licensed nursing students will not have access to Pyxis and are encouraged to work with staff nurses or clinical instructors for Pyxis education. Licensed nursing students and clinical nursing instructors will be given limited Pyxis access based on the unit(s) they/their students are assigned. The login will be limited to each quarter/term.
The initial login will be assigned by the Pharmacy Department.
Faculty need to choose a password that is no more than seven characters or the Pyxis Medstation will lock out.
Initial Pyxis and Computer logins will be emailed to the school of nursing representative.
6. If you need computer access, complete CareConnect computer training.
ALL FORMS ARE DUE A MINIMUM OF TWO WEEKS PRIOR TO THE START OF THE ROTATION. If deadlines are not met, there is a possibility it may delay the start date of clinical rotation.
7. If planning on checking blood sugars, complete the Nova Glucose Meter Computer Based Training (if not previously completed). You need to complete this training one time only. The same directions apply to your students.
Fill in the following information in the module:
First Name: Your first name
Last Name: Your last name
Department: Name of School
Employee ID: Faculty ID
Hospital Name: PHSW
Complete the training and print out your Certificate of Completion. Please bring a copy of the certificate to the Education Office to pick up your barcode. Clinical instructors (cohorts) should pick up the barcodes for all your students. Other students may obtain their barcode by coming to the Clinical Education Department during office hours; 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday.
All Students/Instructors will be assigned their own barcode to use for the glucose meters.
Student barcode will be valid until they graduate.
Clinical Instructor barcode will not expire.
Clinical Instructors must have students perform a high and low QC with the meter.
8. All faculty and students must show documentation of Influenza Vaccination during flu season. You will be required to wear a mask in all patient care areas during flu season if you have not received the vaccine. Our Employee Health Department will provide you this vaccine at no cost to you. If you decline the vaccine, you will need to complete a declination form for our documentation.
9. Carry your clinical faculty passport at all times at all clinical sites.
10. Department Contact Information
11. Student Nurse Safety Orientation Checklist for the student to complete, including several items for the first day on the unit.
12. Parking Policy: Most faculty/students are required to park in the North Parking Lot of the PHSW campus (unless you arrive between 5 p.m. and 3 a.m.). Security patrols the parking lot and will report you if you park in the wrong location. Here is a map of the campus.
13. Complete a Clinical Site Evaluation at the end of your clinical rotation, available on the StudentMax Connections website.
If you have any questions, contact Cheryl Snodgrass via email or 360-514-2023.
We welcome you to PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center and are confident you are going to have an amazing time teaching and learning alongside us!