Clinical Experiences

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I am interested in doing a clinical experience at PeaceHealth. How do I arrange this?

A: Learn more about Clinical Experiences if you are a student or community member or an employee at another hospital or a nurse needing to do clinical hours in order to have your Oregon licensure reinstated.

Q: Who is a “Placement Coordinator”?

A: A Placement Coordinator is employed by PeaceHealth to work with students requesting a Clinical Experience at any PeaceHealth facilities in the Oregon Region. Once your application has been received and recorded, it is assigned to one of several Coordinators will contact you and help you through the placement process, as well as answer your questions, concerns and/or issues. They will provide contact information to you when they notify you that your application has been received and they are working on your placement.

Q: The requirements for the experience I want mentions, “if applicable.” How do I know if it is applicable or not?

A: The Placement Coordinator at PeaceHealth will determine what applicable requirements you need based on the Affiliation Agreement with the school. The Coordinator will work with you to fulfill such requirements.  

Q: Are there areas that do not provide Clinical Experiences?

A: Occasionally, due to patient needs, there are areas that do not provide Clinical Experiences. Please indicate on your application a couple of areas you would like to experience. We will try our best to get you into your first choice and having a back-up would be helpful in case your first choice isn’t available.

Q: Where can I park when doing my Clinical Experience?

A: Students/participants and instructors must arrange for parking at PeaceHealth facilities through the Security Office located at Sacred Heart Medical Center at RiverBend. See directions.

Q: Is there a map with directions to Sacred Heart facilities?

A: Please see the map below. If you have further questions about where to go, please contact your instructor first for directions or contact us.

Review map and directions information. If you have further questions about where to go, please contact your instructor first for directions or contact us.

Q: I have a family member who works at PeaceHealth and I want to shadow him during one of his shifts. A: Can I just come in with him anytime?

A: We welcome job shadowing especially for the purpose of gaining insight to wonderful health care careers. However, as a duty to our patients, families and staff, we must follow a specific process of student placement. To get started, see Students section under job shadow.

Q: Where can I get my requirements fulfilled, such as TB screening, drug screening, background check and/or immunizations?

A: First, check with your instructor or advisor. Many schools provide these services to their students. If you are unable to obtain these requirements through your school, you see the following requirements for further information:

Q: Some of the requirements cost money and I don’t want to do them if I am not going to be able to get placed. How can I be sure I will be placed before paying to have them done?

A: We totally understand your concern regarding the expense of requirements and have checked into several options in order to give you a choice. Contact us for details. You may submit your application without all of the requirements completed and your assigned placement coordinator will work with you to complete them as needed. Be aware that this will delay your placement.

Q: Is there a library for me to use as a resource during my Clinical Experience?

A: You are welcome to use our professional library located on the second floor of Sacred Heart Medical Center at RiverBend during your Clinical Experience. Please bring your student ID when utilizing the library.

Q: Is there a cafeteria available that I can get my meals while I am doing a Clinical Experience?

A: Depending on where you are assigned for your Clinical Experience, there are cafeteria services as well as vending services at all of our facilities. Students will be charged general public prices for food services.

Q: I need to do my Clinical Experience right away in order to get class credit. How soon after I submit my request can I expect a reply?

A: You should receive a reply within five working days after we have received your application (Be aware that mailing an application can take several days to be received on our end). If you have not heard from us within a reasonable amount of time, please contact us for an update. Applications submitted with less than five days notice may not be processed.

Q: I got some fluid splashed on my face during my Clinical Experience and I am afraid I may have been exposed to something. What should I do?

A: If you sustain an exposure or injury: first, you are encouraged to go to the Emergency Department or Urgent Care immediately if treatment is necessary. These services will be charged to you at established Clinical Facility charges. All exposures and/or injuries must then be reported to the immediate PeaceHealth supervisor and your school instructor/advisor as soon as possible. Also, notify Learning and Development at 686-8527 for follow-up by a Placement Coordinator.

Q: I showed up for my Clinical Experience but the department didn’t know I was coming. What do I do?

A: We do apologize for any inconvenience. If this does happen to you, first, identify who you are to the department staff. Provide them with the name of the contact person on the unit who gave permission for you to be there. This contact information will be passed on to you by your Placement Coordinator. It is helpful to copy the placement notification sent to you by your Placement Coordinator and bring it with you to the unit. This contact person is usually the unit Manager or Educator. Ask to speak to the contact person if they are available for further instructions or, call your school instructor/advisor for direction.

Rarely, there may be situations happening within the department that are not conducive to students being present at that time and you may be asked to reschedule. Please make the alternative arrangements through the contact person on the unit or your school instructor/advisor.

Q: What is an Affiliation Agreement and how do I find out if my school has one with PeaceHealth?

A: An Affiliation Agreement is a contract between an educational institute and PeaceHealth that outlines the roles and responsibilities of both organizations regarding student activities. That is why it is important to list on your application the school you are affiliated with to assist the Placement Coordinator in assuring proper placement.

In the event that PeaceHealth does not have an Affiliation Agreement for the school that you are enrolled, be aware that the process for placement will be delayed from several weeks to months while this agreement is being obtained.

PeaceHealth Learning & Development
Attn: Student Placements
1255 Hilyard St., Eugene, Oregon 97401
Or Fax application to: (541) 349-5503
Questions? Please call (541) 686-8527


 Sacred Heart Medical Center - RiverBend and University District Campuses

var geocoder; var map; var ib = new InfoBox(); var marker = new google.maps.Marker(); var bounds = new google.maps.LatLngBounds(); function initializeGoogleMap() { geocoder = new google.maps.Geocoder(); var latlng = new google.maps.LatLng(-34.397, 150.644); var mapOptions = { zoom: 12, center: latlng, mapTypeId: google.maps.MapTypeId.ROADMAP } map = new google.maps.Map(document.getElementById("map_canvas"), mapOptions); codeAddresses("333 Riverbend Drive Springfield OR 97447"); codeAddresses(" 1255 Hilyard Street Eugene Oregon 97401"); google.maps.event.addListenerOnce(map, "zoom_changed", function () { if (map.getZoom() > 12) map.setZoom(12); }); } function codeAddresses(address) { var one = address.substr(0, address.indexOf(',')); var two = address.substr(address.indexOf(',') + 1); var html = one + "
" + two + "

Get Directions"; geocoder.geocode({ 'address': address }, function (results, status) { if (status == google.maps.GeocoderStatus.OK) { map.setCenter(results[0].geometry.location); bounds.extend(results[0].geometry.location); marker = new google.maps.Marker({map: map,position: results[0].geometry.location} ); var boxText = document.createElement("div"); boxText.innerHTML = html; var myOptions = { content: boxText, disableAutoPan: false, maxWidth: 0, pixelOffset: new google.maps.Size(-10, 10), zIndex: null, boxClass: "PHMapInfobox", closeBoxURL: "", infoBoxClearance: new google.maps.Size(1, 1), isHidden: false, pane: "floatPane", enableEventPropagation: false }; ib = new InfoBox(); google.maps.event.addListener(marker, 'mouseover', function (e) { ib.close(); ib.setOptions(myOptions), this); }); } else { alert("Geocode was not successful for the following reason: " + status); } }); } $(document).ready(initializeGoogleMap);