Antibiotic received within 6 hours of arrivalWhat It Means
The percentage of patients with pneumonia who receive their first dose of antibiotics within 6 hours of arriving at the hospital.
Why It Is Important
Antibiotics are used to treat adults with pneumonia caused by bacteria. Early treatment with antibiotics can cure bacterial pneumonia and reduce the possibility of complications. This information shows the percent of patients who were given their first dose of antibiotics within 6 hours of arrival at the hospital. Patients who get pneumonia during their stay at the hospital are not counted in this measure.
Number of pneumonia patients who received their first antibiotic dose within 6 hours from hospital arrival.
Pneumonia patients 18 years of age and older.
Denominator Excluded Populations
- Patients received in transfer from an acute care facility where they were an inpatient or outpatient
- Patients received as a transfer from one distinct unit of the hospital to another distinct unit of the same hospital
- Patients received as a transfer from an emergency department of another hospital
- Patients received as a transfer from an ambulatory surgery center
- Patients who had no diagnosis of pneumonia either as the ED final diagnosis/impression or direct admission diagnosis/impression
- Patients receiving Comfort Measures Only on day of or day after arrival
- Patients who have received antibiotics within 24 hours prior to hospital arrival
- Patients less than 18 years of age
- Patients involved in clinical trials
- Patients who had no chest x-ray or CT scan that indicated abnormal findings within 24 hours prior to hospital arrival or anytime during this hospitalization
- Patients with Cystic Fibrosis (Appendix A, Table 3.4)
- Patients transferred to another acute care hospital or federal hospital on day of or day after arrival
- Patients who expired on day of or day after arrival
- Patients who left against medical advice on day of or day after arrival
- Patients with Diagnostic Uncertainty as defined in the Data Dictionary
- Patients who do not receive any antibiotics within 36 hours after arrival or who received antibiotics the day of arrival (prior to arrival to the hospital) or the day prior to arrival
- Patients who have a Length of Stay >120 days