Cold weather increases risk of carbon monoxide poisoning
Carbon monoxide poisoning is a common occurrence this time of year as temperatures drop and we are trying to stay warm. Certain types of heaters can emit the odorless gas, which is why it’s important to equip your home with detectors and have all fuel-burning appliances checked.
PeaceHealth caregivers in Oregon saw firsthand the importance of this advice. An 82-year-old Corvallis man, Paul Trosper, survived a close call recently after suffering severe poisoning from a leaking propane heater. He required life-saving therapy at PeaceHealth Sacred Heart Medical Center’s Hyperbaric Center to help remove carbon monoxide quickly from his blood stream. Read Paul’s story in the Register-Guard.
Brenda Ormesher, MD, an infectious disease specialist at Sacred Heart in RiverBend, was quoted in the article. She said there are up to 40,000 cases of confirmed carbon monoxide poisonings each year in the United States – and there are likely many more that aren’t reported. These poisonings can kill brain cells and lead to cardiac problems, she said.
Read more about the dangers of carbon monoxide and how to protect your home.